About Arahia Books
Tēnā koutou e ngā reo, e ngā maunga, e ngā awa. He mihi whānui tēnei nō te ngākau iti ki ngā kura, ki ngā whare kohungahunga, ki ngā whānau hoki.
Welcome to Arahia Books. Our aim is to create resource packs with bilingual books that are user-friendly for teachers and parents, and engaging for tamariki. These books will also help teachers to meet the requirements of PTC 10 – working in a bicultural context, by incorporating Māori language and tikanga. And they contribute to one of the Ministry of Education’s four national priorities – te reo matatini i.e. reading, writing and speaking.
Each book in the series is part of a resource pack which includes:
- a big bilingual book, for shared reading
- 10 small versions of the same story, for guided or independent reading
- teachers’ notes with user-friendly assessment rubrics and ideas for second language activities
- flashcards, for vocabulary recognition
- a downloadable link which contains an audio file (for pronunciation help), a digital file (for use on the big screen), and a template to create palm sized mini-books for each student to take home and read with whānau.
Arahia Books align with the achievement objectives in the Māori language curriculum guidelines (http://tereoMaori.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-guidelines). The books are also based on the kaupapa in the associated multimedia resource He Reo Tupu, He Reo Ora (http://hereoora.tki.org.nz). We plan to publish more resource packs each term.
He mihi nui ki a Tākuta Ray Harlow; nāna i whakakoia ki ngā kupu.
Heoi anō, noho pai mai i roto i ngā manaakitanga katoa. Tukua te reo rangatira o tēnei whenua, kia rere.
Alice Patrick (author)
Sharon Holt (publisher)